PRACTICE REPEAT PRESCRIBING INFORMATION - APRIL 18
In line with other practices locally within the CCG and NHS guidance we are adopt a policy of only prescribing 28 days of medication at a time. This applies for all patients.
One of the main drivers behind this decision is to reduce waste in the NHS, it is estimated that up to £1million of medication is wasted in West Berkshire each year due to over-ordering and unused medication. As a practice, we also feel this is much safer and will allow us to monitor medication over-use and under-use more easily. It will hopefully reduce any confusion and the number of mistakes made by patients, especially the elderly, when they take their medicine, as patients will be less likely to have multiple partly filled containers of medicine at home.
From 1st April 2018 the NHS Prescription Charge is £8.80 for each item.
The vast majority of patients collecting repeat prescriptions do not pay prescription charges. If you do have to pay prescription charges and need 4 or more prescription items in 3 months or more than 12 in 12 months, you can save money by buying a Prescription Prepayment Certificate.
From 1st April 2018 these will cost £29.10 for 3 months and £104.00 for 12 months. This can be paid by direct debit over 10months to spread the cost.
For further information or help ordering your Prescription Pre-payment Certificates (PPC) please call the Customer Contact Team 0300 330 1341 , email email@example.com or by visit http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1127.aspx
For those patients suffering financial hardship please consider applying for a “help with health costs”. This form can be downloaded from https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/LISWebAppStaticData/begin.do or collected from reception, as you may be eligible for free prescriptions.
Repeat Prescription Requests may be submitted in the following ways,
- online via Patient Access (please ask at reception to sign up for this)
- by personal attendance at the surgery, using the counterfoil repeat prescription slip
- by post, using the counterfoil repeat prescription slip
- We are a dispensing practice and unless you live within 1 mile of a chemist (as the crow flies) you will be able to obtain your medicines from the surgery.
- Please allow at least 72 hours (excluding weekends, bank holidays and half day closing) for your request to be dispensed. It would help us if you could collect your medications after 10am.
- Please order when you still have a few days of medication in hand but no more than 2 weeks to allow for possible delays. We do not process prescription requests earlier than two weeks in advance.
- Please be patient with us if there is a delay in obtaining your prescription. This is usually the doctor reviewing the medication request or the practice making sure that the prescription is correct.
- We request you book medication reviews with a GP when advised. This appointment is for the doctor to make sure that the medication you are taking is still the best way to manage your medical condition. If you wish to discuss other issues please request a double appointment.
- Be prepared for practice staff to ask questions about your medication when you order a prescription.
- Do not stockpile medicines at home, only order those items that you will need until your next prescription is obtained.
- Please return any unwanted medication to the dispensary. We can dispose of them safely for you.
- Sadly, we are no longer able to dispense special order foods (e.g. coeliac options, food supplements or baby formulas) as we do not have the storage facilities to accommodate this, but we will happily send a script to the pharmacy of your choice.